Monday, March 19, 2012

Wikipedia Homework

How a Ragtag band created Wikipedia

3 things I learned
1. Wikipedia is more popular than the New York Times.
2. Wikipedia has 90 servers in 3 different locations.
3. Wikipedia has a neutral point of view policy.

2 things I agreed with
1. I agree that the Wikipedia site is the most popular site around.
2. I agree when Jimmy Wales said the Wikipedia is not perfect.

1 thing I disagreed with
I disagreed with the fact that Jimmy Wales said that Wikipedia is a pretty good site to use. I disagree with that because you have these volunteers, who probably don't know much about the topic, creating these wikipedia sites. Actually what I have heard people say is that anyone can edit Wikipedia, and make it say anything the person wants it to. I feel that Wikipedia is not a reliable source.

Wikipedia Pretty Accurate But Hard to Read
I was very surprised after I read this because it says that the cancer information is written better than the cancer information in a medical article. The article also says that Wikipedia made a lot of mistakes on the cancer information. It says that the Wikipedia workers made the information better. The article says that people can understand the information a lot better on the Wikipedia page. All in all, I am just surprised because I believe that Wikipedia is not a reliable source.

4 Ways to Use Wikipedia Never Cite It
I can honestly say that I have NEVER used Wikipedia in my research papers. I will say that I have never thought to use Wikipedia in the ways they describe in this article. With that being said, I still will probably never use Wikipedia in my research papers.




No comments:

Post a Comment